Saginaw HIV/AIDS task force observes week of prayor for the healing of aids
Originally printed 3/1/2012 (Issue 2009 - Between The Lines News)
Saginaw will mark the National Week of Prayer for the Healing of AIDS with special worship and educational programs beginning Sunday, March 4.
Several faith-based institutions in the community will join thousands of faith communities across the nation in observance of the National Week of Prayer in an effort to bring attention and awareness to the HIV/AIDS epidemic. These institutions also hope to encourage more dialog on HIV/AIDS education, treatment and care through their programming.
"Every faith-based institution in Saginaw has the power and responsibility to change the course of the HIV/AIDS epidemic," say Rev. Charles Coleman from New Faith Temple Church of God In Christ. "Our goal is educate every person about this disease and provide prayer, leadership, compassion and educational information to help families in our congregation as well as people living with HIV/AIDS."
Programs will take place at the following locations:
Time: 4 p.m. March 4
Location: 608 E. Remington, Saginaw
Details: Sponsored by Greater Williams Temple Church of God in Christ, Bishop H.J. Williams. Starring Gospel Lady Vicki Hill, M.C. Open to the public. Gospel Concert with local, national and international artists
"Next Generation of Leaders Youth Group"
Time: 4-6 p.m. March 5
Location: 310 S. Washington St., Saginaw
Details: New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, Pastor Larry Camel. Hosting prayer, devotion, information and discussion on HIV prevention. Open to youth and parents.
Evening Prayer and Discussion
Time: 7-8 p.m. March 6
Location: 915 Federal, Saginaw
Details: St. John Lutheran Church, Pastor Paulette Cummings. Evening Prayer and discussions around the church's role in reducing stigma related to HIV/AIDS. Open to all.
My Denomination's Views on HIV/AIDS
Time: 12-2 p.m. March 7
Location: Gamez Community Health Center, 501 Lapeer, Saginaw, MI 48607
Details: Saginaw Community HIV/AIDS Task Force. Supported by Gospel against AIDS. Interfaith forum and discussion is open to all.
Time: 7-8 p.m. March 8
Location: 2720 Tuscola, Saginaw
Details: St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Pastor Judy Boli host prayer and worship service in commemoration of National Week of Prayer for the Healing of AIDS, open to all.
Prayer Intention Cards
Time: 7-8 p.m. March 9
Location: 6045 Mackinaw, Kochville Township, Saginaw
Details: Saginaw Community Christian Reformed Church, Pastor Nathan Gritter host a reading of Prayer Intention Cards. Open to all.
National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
Time: 11 a.m.-1 p.m. March 10
Location: Dawn of A New Day Coffeehouse and Cafe, 210 S. Washington St., Saginaw
Details: Sponsored by the Saginaw County HIV/AIDS Task Force. Sharing of poetry expressions regarding HIV/AIDS.
For more information please call the staff of Hearth Home at 989-753-9011.
- Michigan's SCOTUS Courtside Campers
- Video: James Toy reflects on Marriage Equality Hearings
- State Senate Committee Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
- State Capitol Candlelight Vigil Tonight Supporting Marriage Equality
- GOP Senate Source: MiRFRA Will Have Hearing Tuesday April 28, No Vote Expected
- Oakland University To Offer Gender Studies Minor
- Michigan Womyn's Fest Says 2015 Is Last Year
- The Road After SCOTUS Decision
- Advocates And Academics Advance Equality At Inaugural 'Research To Action' Conference
- National Organizations Pull Support From Michfest Petition
- Obituary: Marvin Marks
- New Case Study to Michigan Lawmakers: 'Don't Repeat The Mistakes Of Indiana'
- Marriage Equality March Downtown Flint
- Emily Dievendorf Announces Campaign For Lansing City Council
- Dieseltec Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Controversial Anti-LGBT Mechanic Has Checkered Past
- Pro-Gay Protestors at Dieseltec - GALLERY
- Supporters of DieselTec - GALLERY
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services
- People's Food Co-op and Bakery
- Computer Services
- Concise Computer Consulting Inc.
- Florists/Floral Design
- D.J. Murray Plumbing
- Sizemore Selectives
- Real Estate/Agent
- Keller Williiams Real Estate
- The LindaLom Team at Trillium Real Estate
- Religious & Spiritual
- Central United Methodist Church
- Fisher Theatre
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Q&A: Reba Talks 'Very Important' LGBT Rights, Her First Gay Wedding & Feeling 'Sad' For Closeted Country Stars
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!