Arts & Entertainment
Md. Gov. O'Malley to sign gay marriage bill Thurs.
Originally printed 3/1/2012 (Issue 2009 - Between The Lines News)
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) -
Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley will sign a bill legalizing gay marriage March 1.
The governor is scheduled to sign the legislation in a 5 p.m. ceremony Thursday, making Maryland the eighth state to legalize same-sex unions.
Opponents have vowed to bring the measure to referendum on the November ballot and began the petition process Friday, a day after the state Senate approved it in a 25 to 22 vote.
They will need to collect 55,736 valid signatures of Maryland voters to put it on the ballot.
Gay marriage advocates said they will fight to make sure the law is upheld and that they think it is inappropriate to leave the issue to the discretion of voters.
- Florida Federal Judge Rules For Same-Sex Marriage
- TLC Star Says Transgender People Are Child Predators
- Boy Killed By Mother For Playing With Dolls
- SCOTUS Blocks Virginia Same-Sex Marriages
- Open Letter On Michael Brown #HandsUpDon'tShoot
- Will & Grace Featured In The Smithsonian Collection
- Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
- N.J. School Allows Trans Girl To Attend As Herself
- Oregon Medicaid To Cover Gender Reassignment Surgery
- Lambda Legal Sues On Behalf Of Veteran Same-Sex Spouses
- Uzo Aduba Wins Emmy For Crazy Eyes
- Memorial Service Held for Trans Woman Killed In Baltimore
- Bryan Fisher Blames Lesbian Attorney For Perry's Indictment
- 13-Year-Old Trans Girl Banned From School
- Welcoming First Trans Man To U.S. House of Reps
- Facebook Donated $10k To Attorney General Appealing Marriage Equality In Utah
- Reagan Aide Says Disney Has Gay Agenda
- Texas Values President Loses Wife
- California Considers Gender Neutral Birth Certificate Language
- Texas Legislators Link Incest And Pedophilia To Same-Sex Marriage
- American Bar Association Endorses LGBT NonDiscrim Protections
- Highlights Of Love And Commitment From Aug. 5 Rally In Ohio
- Energy Rises In Cincinnati Streets Just Before 6th Circuit Hearing