It's time for us to roll up our sleeves in the Janice Daniels Recall
By Michael Einheuser
Originally printed 4/19/2012 (Issue 2016 - Between The Lines News)
Correction: The training meeting has been moved to May 5th.
Some of my friends have told me that the effort to recall Troy Mayor Janice Daniels is strictly a local concern for the people of Troy. That's nonsense! The GLBT community has been handed an opportunity to hold a public official accountable for her hate speech. This is much bigger than the city of Troy. Removing Mayor Daniels from office will be an important lesson for public officials at all levels. Engage in gay bashing at your own risk.
Unfortunately, the LGBT community has been missing in action in the effort to collect the necessary signatures to put the question of recalling Daniels before the voters. It's time we change that.
The recall petition lists five reasons why Ms. Daniels should be removed from office they are:
(1) for referring to the Troy City Charter as a "whimsical" document;
(2) for declaring, during an "office hours" forum on January 9, 2012, that "the homosexual lifestyle is dangerous";
(3) for publicly attacking city employees during the January 9, 2012 City Council meeting; and
(4) for failing to support a Federal investment in the City of Troy of over $8.4 million, by voting against the Troy Transit Center project on three occasions (December 19, 2011, January 17, 2012, and February 20, 2012).
Her characterization of the homosexual life style as dangerous came in remarks to students from Troy High School. This is the kind of animus that suggests gays and lesbians are to be shunned. It's outrageousness cannot go unanswered.
Five thousand more signatures need to be collected in the next month and a half. It's our turn to step up and get involved.
Will you be one of 50 people from the LGBT community who makes a commitment to gather 100 signatures? You don't have to live in Troy to circulate petitions. A special training meeting is scheduled for Saturday, May 5 at 10:30 a.m. in the Troy library at 510 West Big Beaver Road, Troy, MI 48084.
There are two compelling reasons for you to do this. First, Ms. Daniels simply needs to go. But second, you will be part of an important message to the community at large that GLBT people are a political force that must be reckoned with.
- ALERT Missing Person In Metro Detroit
- A Remembrance: Robert Clark
- New LGBT Tobacco Disparity Report For Michigan Released
- Representation: Trans Activism In Michigan Lame Duck
- Between Bass And Treble: An Alto Story
- Local Gatherings Against MiRFRA
- Call To Action: Petition Seeks To Stop MIRFRA
- Top Faith Leaders Discuss Religious Freedom, LGBT Inclusion
- The First Trans Helpline In USA Is In Michigan
- LGBT Judge To Speak At Ann Arbor Interfaith Service
- Gay Therapist Discusses Sexualities Of LGBT And Straight Men In New Book
- Affirmations Seeks LGBTQ-Friendly Healthcare Providers
- Ruth Ellis Center Celebrates 15 Years Serving LGBTQ Youth
- The Rise Of 'License To Discriminate'; The Failure Of LGBT Civil Rights
- State Civil Rights Amendment Dead, Says Speaker
- WCC Expands LGBT Protections
- PrEP Debate Continues As Advocates Hold Conversations In State
- 'KICK' Off The Holidays With Annual Gala In Detroit
- Foster Children's Charity Collecting New Toys, Gifts For Holiday Bazaar
- Right Reverend Wendell Gibbs To Speak On Marriage Equality
- Affirmations Hosts Information Session On LGBT Foster Parenting And Adoption
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- Northern Michigan University Gay/Lesbian Multicultural Resource Center
- Lansing Community College Gay-Straight Alliance
- Event Planners
- Suburban Party Rental
- Will U Party Event Planning
- Families and Parents
- PFLAG Battle Creek
- Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams
- Rainbow Jewelers
- NATIONAL HOME LENDING dba Gold Star Financial
- Pet Boarding
- Camp Bow Wow Brighton
- Weight Loss
- Alpha LifeStyle Center of Birmingham
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Exclusive! 'Looking' Star Russell Tovey On Sex Scenes, His Famous Butt & That Rimming Cake
- Q&A: Andy Cohen On His (Almost) Tell-All Book, 'Nasty' Names Gays Call Him
- Divine Intervention: Bette Midler Talks Early Gay Support, 'Diva' Degradation & Twerking ('Girls, Please!')
- Creep of the Week: The Duggars
- Being Young & Coming Out To Bette Midler
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!