Arts & Entertainment
It's time for us to roll up our sleeves in the Janice Daniels Recall
By Michael Einheuser
Originally printed 4/19/2012 (Issue 2016 - Between The Lines News)
Correction: The training meeting has been moved to May 5th.
Some of my friends have told me that the effort to recall Troy Mayor Janice Daniels is strictly a local concern for the people of Troy. That's nonsense! The GLBT community has been handed an opportunity to hold a public official accountable for her hate speech. This is much bigger than the city of Troy. Removing Mayor Daniels from office will be an important lesson for public officials at all levels. Engage in gay bashing at your own risk.
Unfortunately, the LGBT community has been missing in action in the effort to collect the necessary signatures to put the question of recalling Daniels before the voters. It's time we change that.
The recall petition lists five reasons why Ms. Daniels should be removed from office they are:
(1) for referring to the Troy City Charter as a "whimsical" document;
(2) for declaring, during an "office hours" forum on January 9, 2012, that "the homosexual lifestyle is dangerous";
(3) for publicly attacking city employees during the January 9, 2012 City Council meeting; and
(4) for failing to support a Federal investment in the City of Troy of over $8.4 million, by voting against the Troy Transit Center project on three occasions (December 19, 2011, January 17, 2012, and February 20, 2012).
Her characterization of the homosexual life style as dangerous came in remarks to students from Troy High School. This is the kind of animus that suggests gays and lesbians are to be shunned. It's outrageousness cannot go unanswered.
Five thousand more signatures need to be collected in the next month and a half. It's our turn to step up and get involved.
Will you be one of 50 people from the LGBT community who makes a commitment to gather 100 signatures? You don't have to live in Troy to circulate petitions. A special training meeting is scheduled for Saturday, May 5 at 10:30 a.m. in the Troy library at 510 West Big Beaver Road, Troy, MI 48084.
There are two compelling reasons for you to do this. First, Ms. Daniels simply needs to go. But second, you will be part of an important message to the community at large that GLBT people are a political force that must be reckoned with.
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality