Former State Senator Buzz Thomas Joins EQMI Board
Three Politically Powerful People Added to the Statewide Organization
BY BTL STAFF
Originally printed 1/6/2017 (Issue 2501 - Between The Lines News)
DETROIT - As the LGBT and allied communities of Michigan continue to build the path towards expanding statewide nondiscrimination laws, Equality Michigan and Equality Michigan Action Network announced yesterday the addition of three new members to the board of directors who will strengthen that work.
EQMI added former State Senator Buzz Thomas, a public affairs professional with more than 20 years of experience. He is known for his vast network of government relationships, according to the press release.
Thomas spent 14 years in the Michigan legislature, including serving as Democratic Floor Leader in the Senate and as Democratic Leader in the House. He was Co-Chairman of the 2008 Michigan Presidential campaign of Barack Obama. In 2013 he founded and Co-Chaired Turnaround Detroit, the Super PAC credited with electing Mike Duggan Detroit's Mayor.
"The political fight for LGBT rights is more important than ever and I'm honored to join an organization that is leading that work in Michigan," said Thomas. "I look forward to using my experience at navigating the rough and tumble world of policy and politics to help make equality under the law a reality."
Worthams is a legislative and public policy specialist with more than 15 years' experience in the legislative arena. He has served as a Constituent Relations Director for former Congressman Nick Smith, as a policy advisor to former Michigan Speaker's Rick Johnson and Craig DeRoche, as the Deputy Chief of Staff for Michigan State Senator Jud Gilbert, and as a Legislative Associate for the Michigan Municipal League. Since 2013 he has served on the Kalamazoo County Road Commission and was appointed by Governor Rick Snyder in the same year to the Michigan Board of Real Estate Appraisers.
Moore joins the board of the Equality Michigan Action Network with over 30 years of experience as an executive at Hewlett Packard and Safe House. His wealth of expertise in nonprofit management comes from both his executive experience and his board leadership for 10 organizations including Georgia Equality, Out and Equal, and the Equality Federation. He is a founding member of Faith Leaders of African Descent, which is dedicated to fighting homophobia among places of worship for LGBTQ African-Americans.
"I know from my decades of leading this work with various groups all across the country that it takes a strong organization to accomplish something as significant as updating nondiscrimination laws," said Moore, who now lives in Detroit. "Thankfully, Equality Michigan is serious about building the strength to get this work done and I'm flattered that they asked for my help. I am so happy to be back home to help make this a reality."
Currently serving on the Equality Michigan board is: Dave Wait, chair; Michael Rowady, vice chair; Sean Rhaesa, secretary; Mira Krishnan, treasurer; Jim Murray, member-at-large; Joy Geng, member; Seth Davis, member; and Kerene Moore, member.
Currently serving on the Equality Michigan Action Network Board is: Senator Rebekah Warren, chair; Gary Reed, vice chair; Sean Rhaesa, secretary; Mira Krishnan, treasurer; Tim Atkinson, member-at-large; Clif Levin, member; and Chuck Otis, member.
- Former State Senator Buzz Thomas Joins EQMI Board
- A Turbulent Road Leads Home
- Michelle Brown to Host Weekly Internet Radio Show
- Gretchen Whitmer Files for 2018 Michigan Governor's Race
- Fair Michigan Justice Project Ends 2016 with Five Convictions
- Overdose Reversal Bill Becomes Law
- Gay Couple Wins HGTV House in Ann Arbor
- Flint Aid, Detroit Schools Bailout Among Top 10 Michigan Laws Of 2016
- Make the New Year Special by Adopting a Pet
- 'OVO' Makes a Buzz in the Motor City
- What Was Different About This Year's World AIDS Day?
- Making Salons the New Safe Space for Transgender People
- What Next? The Election, Asylum & LGBT Rights
- Assault on Marriage Equality Under Banner of 'Religious Liberty'
- What Marriage Equality Looks Like in 2016
- U of M Swimmer Broke a Record then Broke a Barrier
- A Nod to the Oldest LGBT-Serving Establishment in Detroit
- LGBT Detroit Moves Out of Midtown, Hosts Holiday Event at New Location
- The Strength to be Yourself
- List of Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality Grows in Michigan
- Watch Donald Trump Rally in Grand Rapids Friday Night
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Hemophilia Foundation
- GRACE/AIDS Care Network
- Evergreen Antiques
- Community Centers
- Urban Ashes
- Merkel Furniture and Carpet One
- Leather Gear
- Noir Leather
- Opera Company
- Arbor Opera Theater
- Berman Center for the Performing Arts
- Pets Ahoy Animal Hospital
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!