Affirmations Welcomes Two New Board Members
BY KATE OPALEWSKI
Originally printed 2/23/2017 (Issue 2508 - Between The Lines News)
The Affirmations board of directors appointed two new board members following their Jan. 25 board meeting who will play a vital and continuing role with all other board members in shaping the direction of the community center in Ferndale.
Through his work with his corporate employee business resource group at PNC Bank, Eric Martin has had the opportunity to work with Affirmations on many occasions.
"Each time, it is so clear how important the work they do is for the our community. I have witnessed the center go through a few changes in leadership and staffing, however they never waiver in the quality of services they provide," said Martin, vice president and banking center manager in West Bloomfield.
"I have been looking, for some time, for a way that I can be more involved in supporting Detroit's LGBT community and through conversations with Susan Erspamer the opportunity to join Affirmations board came about. To this point, I have been involved in community development projects through my EBRG that have allowed me to support the LGBT community. I bring a strong desire to see Affirmations expand their programs and build a strong reputation of support and acceptance in Metro Detroit."
When asked why he wanted to join the board of directors at Affirmations, Mike Flores said he knew upon return to Michigan in 2015 that it was something he wanted to do.
"I looked at several organizations, all of which serve specific needs and do a great job meeting those needs in metro Detroit; however, I kept getting drawn to Affirmations. The community center has a long history of serving, adapting to meet the current needs, and having a forward vision to anticipate what may be required to support the community. I want to help honor Affirmations' rich history, and help ensure the organization's success now and in the future," said Flores, who has previously served on the board for the Midwest Aids Prevention Project in Michigan, and the finance board for Youth Pride in Rhode Island. In addition to Affirmations, he currently serves on the membership committee at the Detroit Yacht Club.
As a board member, Flores said he is interested in helping the organization "live up to its vision and mission, ensure its financial sustainability, and help it succeed through rapid changes in our community. Areas of particular interest for me are minority outreach, education, and access to health."
Having worked in the automotive and aerospace industry over the last 15 years in strategy development, Flores said, "I hope the skills I have developed in the private sector will be of value to Affirmations as it defines and redefines itself to meet the needs of the community."
For more information about Affirmations, visit their website.
- Jackson Pride Center Unveiled Feb. 17
- Affirmations Welcomes Two New Board Members
- SAGE Metro Detroit Releases Guide for LGBT Caregivers
- REC Receives Transformational Gift from Local Congregation
- HFHS Joins Detroit Regional LGBT Chamber of Commerce
- ACLU of Michigan Responds to Trump Administration's Actions
- Michigan LGBT ComedyFest Returns to Dearborn
- Equality Michigan's New Strategy is Bold Risk in This Political Season
- Funding Steady at Equality Michigan
- Ruth Ellis Center Builds Diverse and Inclusive Board
- New EQMI Board Chair Talks Strategy
- Raucus LGBT Caucus at MDP
- Campus Chat: Local LGBT University Student Reacts to Trump Presidency
- Local Transgender Teen Published in National Geographic Magazine
- Affirmations Welcomes New Volunteer
- Holistic Health Fair to Look at the Needs of Youth of Color Ages 13-29
- National LGBT Radio Program Finds Home at MSU
- HOPE Fund Provides New Grant to Equality Michigan
- Detroit LGBT Chamber Mature Business Academy Enrollment Opens
- Jackson Passes Non-discrimination Ordinance
- Adoption Services
- Family Service & Children's Aid
- Computer Services
- The Computer Virus ("God")
- Tyrrell Electric
- Families and Parents
- Grand Rapids Alternative Families
- Financial Services
- Equitas America Financial Group
- Massage Therapy
- Greenleaf Bodywork
- Professional Organizations
- Michigan Gay Officers Action League
- Religious & Spiritual
- Cathedral of St. Anthony
- Birmingham Unitarian Church
- Masonic Temple Theater
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- EXCLUSIVE: Susan Sarandon on 'Up For Grabs' Sexuality, Ryan Murphy's 'Feud' & Her Response to Those Who 'Blame Me' For the Election
- Making America Hopeful Again: Dustin Lance Black Talks 'When We Rise,' the Power of Collective Protesting & Why He 'Calls Bulls***' on Trans-Evading Hollywood
- Women's March On Lansing
- 18 Things You Can Do Right Now to Protect LGBTQ Rights Under Donald Trump
- Baptist Pastor Comes Under Fire for Officiating Same-Sex Wedding
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!