Gov. Gretchen Whitmer addressed the State of Michigan after a plan to kidnap her and other Michigan government officials was thwarted by state and federal law enforcement agencies. She started by saying thank you to law enforcement and FBI agents who participated in stopping this [...]
Compiled by Howard Israel
“Too often the face of young Black masculinity is violent or associated with drugs and prison. Very rarely do we see Black men loving each other and showing concern for each other. … In a world so overwhelmed with hate, I fail to see how loving anyone could possibly be considered a bad thing.”
– Blogger Renee Martin, in her blog titled “No Excuse for Homophobia,” about an internet photo of two affectionate Black men http://twitpic.com/2es87y, http://carnalnation.com, Aug. 31.
“We feel more and more that activists are being deceptive in using anti-bullying rhetoric to introduce their viewpoints, while the viewpoint of Christian students and parents are increasingly belittled. Public schools increasingly convey that homosexuality is normal and should be accepted, while opposing viewpoints by conservative Christians are portrayed as bigotry.”
– Candi Cushman, Focus on the Family education expert, in an article titled “Focus on Family says anti-bullying efforts in schools push gay agenda,” http://www.denverpost.com, Aug. 31.
“Anybody who doesn’t think gay people should be married is … a moron! This is the fucking new world. Love is love!”
– Actor David Arquette, when asked about his thoughts on gay marriage, http://www.wehodaily.com, Aug. 6.
1. Cable guys and telephone repair men have a lot of sex. This must be why when I call for an appointment I get vague schedules like ‘Sometime between noon and next Thursday.’ 2. There is some magical facial expression that translates into ‘Please remove your clothing and allow me to touch you.’ I’ve been practicing in the mirror for the last month to no avail. 3. Hitchhikers are extremely horny. So are pool boys. 4. The most innocuous looking people have dungeons in their basements. 5. No one is ever disappointed when their partner’s pants come down since penises are always massive.”
– Jester, in his blog titled “Things I’ve Learned from Watching Porn,” http://www.ourbiggayborhood.com, Aug. 19.
“As a queer person of color, I am anxious about the place and future of minority LGBT people. I worry about those of us who do not look, sound, dress, act or live like everybody else. These are members of our community who do not have the resources, voice or power some of us enjoy due to the accident of birth and circumstance. These are Americans who remain in the margins. It will be up to those of us who are joining the mainstream and are looking forward to better days not to forget those who are left behind.”
– Erwin de Leon, in his column titled “A shared future?,” http://erwinsdeleon.blogspot.com, Aug. 20.
“We’re creating more jobs than any other state in the nation. Would you rather live in a state like this, or in a state where a man can marry a man?”
– Texas Gov. Rock Perry, who is running for reelection, in an article titled “On the Campaign Trail With Gov. Rick Perry,” http://www.texastribune.org, Aug. 30.