Gov. Gretchen Whitmer addressed the State of Michigan after a plan to kidnap her and other Michigan government officials was thwarted by state and federal law enforcement agencies. She started by saying thank you to law enforcement and FBI agents who participated in stopping this [...]
More than 300 guests enjoyed Michigan’s first-ever Same-Sex Wedding Expo, sponsored by the Detroit Marriot Livonia and BTL on Sunday, May 1. Guests won prizes, sampled everything from vodka to chocolate, and chatted with affirming vendors. Local LGBT activists modeled formal wear and mingled with the excited crowd. BTL publishers Jan Stevenson and Susan Horowitz are already looking forward to planning another expo next year.
BTL photographer Andrew Potter captured the five-hour event. His photos can be found online at http://andrewpotterphoto.zenfolio.com/samesexweddingexpo.
1. Abracadabra Jewelry & Gem Gallery help guests try on original jewel and metal creations.
2. Harpist Onita Sanders serenades guests with dreamy melodies on her harp.
3. Jim Ankofski, right, owner of the Pastry Palace in Wixom and David Landis show off their cake creations.
4. Cho-zen owner B.C. Cabangbang, KICK Executive Director Curtis Lipscomb, BTL intern Benjamin Jenkins and BTL Entertainment Editor Chris Azzopardi look hot in formal wear from President Tuxedo while posing in front of a hot pink stretch Hummer provided by Satisfaction Limousines.
5. Equality Michigan Policy Director Emily Dievendorf and BTL News Editor Tara Cavanaugh model lovely gowns from B. Ella Bridal.
6. Affirmations Chief Operating Officer Kat LaTosch and her partner Jennifer looked lovely in dresses from B. Ella Bridal – while getting their sons to don tuxes from President Tuxedo for a whole 20 minutes.
7. Many Metro Detroit couples enjoyed food, drinks, prizes and vendors at the expo.
8. Ruth Ellis Center Executive Director Laura Hughes shows off her glamorous looks in a gown from B. Ella Bridal.
9. Dan Miller from Elite Sweets in Livonia provides delicious cake samples for guests to enjoy.
10. BTL Entertainment Editor Chris Azzopardi, News Editor Tara Cavanaugh and intern Ben Jenkins horse around in the photo booth provided by Quik Picz Photo Booth.
11. New Detroit import Hard Luck Vodka keeps guests happy (and thirsty) with their specialty flavors such as Root Beer and Lemon Drop.
12. Each guest received a special goodie bag full of prizes.
13. DJ Francisco Canilao provides dance-able hits – starting off with ABBA’s “Dancing Queen.”
14. Wedding photographer Eileen Koprowski shows off her 20 years of experience.