The Ringwald Theatre is sounding a call for new, original one-act plays to be performed at their Seventh Annual Gay Play Series (GPS). The Detroit-area’s only LGBT short play festival is striving to provide early-career writers the opportunity to see their work produced, giving them what is oft-needed exposure.
The Ringwald opened their doors seven years ago on May 11, 2007 with “Fatal Attraction: A Greek Tragedy.” Quickly, The Ringwald became a mainstay of Detroit’s theater community.
The plays submitted should have a performance time of 30 minutes or less and deal directly with issues or characters that are identified as gay/lesbian/transgender, or contain a gay sensibility. From the initial submission pool, a final line up will be chosen by a panel of judges to be performed at The Ringwald Theatre in June 2016, at the Seventh Annual Gay Play Series Festival.
From those performed, an audience poll will be conducted to select one winning script, actor, actress and director.
The 2015 Festival departed from the usual format of 10 minute plays and featured a series of longer-format short plays written and performed in a 10 day span. From last year’s festival, the winning play “Madonna the Dead,” written by Joshua Ben-Ra, will have a featured run at The Ringwald later this season. Scott Jason Alexander Cook was named Best Actor for “Orange is the New Black Eyed Peas,” with Maggie O’Reilly and Barbie Weisserman sharing Best Actress nods for “My Fair Lady Gaga” and “50 Chers of Gray,” respectively.
All submissions must be submitted electronically to: [email protected]
– The submitted script must be the script proposed for presentation, with no major alterations necessary.
– Please provide an approximate running time, number of cast members and a one sentence synopsis in the body of the email.
– Only one entry per playwright will be accepted.
– Neither fax nor paper submissions will be accepted.
– Submission materials will not be returned.
– Previously submitted scripts will not be eligible.
– The deadline for submissions is Feb. 14, 2016.
– The final line-up will be announced in May 2016.