The University of Michigan Alumni Association has announced the formation of a new LGBTQ alumni group. A former group did exist, but it became inactive, so a new organizing committee came together to form U-M LGBTQ Alumni. The primary purpose of the group includes:
– To keep LGBTQ alumni informed of the concerns, needs, goals, interests and progress of the University of Michigan, especially as related to issues around gender and sexual orientation.
– To provide a forum for the exchange of information, ideas, and resources in an effort to improve engagement and service among University of Michigan LGBTQ alumni, students, faculty and staff.
– To establish a formal mechanism for extending community and camaraderie among LGBTQ alumni, students, faculty, staff and allies.
– To further the recruitment and retention of students, faculty and staff at the University of Michigan, by insuring that people of all gender identities and sexual orientations will be part of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.
– To provide scholarship support, service opportunities, and programming for current students and future alumni.
For those interested in staying connected with U-M LGBTQ Alumni, sign-up online. To ensure that the group is connecting with as many LGBTQ alumni as possible, please consider sharing this information with other alumni, friends or supporters, asking them to sign up too. This is an exciting time for U-M LGBTQ alumni as the group intends to build a foundation and create a space for the community to advance their opportunities.