New York Man Found Guilty of 2013 Murder, Burning of Gay Detroit Man

BTL Staff
By | 2018-12-12T22:58:26-04:00 December 12th, 2018|Michigan, News|

DETROIT — Last week a New York man was found guilty of a 2013 murder and body burning of a gay Detroit man. A jury found the accused, Andrew Czarnecki, guilty of first-degree murder, felony murder, armed robbery and mutilation of a dead body. This conviction carries a life sentence.
In a report by WDIV ClickOnDetroit, Attorney General-elect and Fair Michigan President Dana Nessel said that her organization’s “resolve” was reaffirmed to “investigate and vigorously prosecute serious crimes against the LGBTQ community.”
“We used our dedicated resources to find witnesses, gather evidence, extradite Czarnecki from New York, and mount a successful prosecution,” Nessel said. “With this conviction, the FMJP maintains its 100 percent conviction rate for the cases we have charged. We are proud to provide the community with an opportunity to come forward, speak up, and win justice whenever these crimes occur.”
Currently, there is a Dec. 19 sentencing hearing scheduled and a Dec. 14 pretrial hearing for co-defendent Hameer Alkotait.

About the Author:

BTL Staff
Between The Lines has been publishing LGBTQ-related content in Southeast Michigan since the early '90s. This year marks the publication's 25th anniversary.