Gov. Gretchen Whitmer addressed the State of Michigan after a plan to kidnap her and other Michigan government officials was thwarted by state and federal law enforcement agencies. She started by saying thank you to law enforcement and FBI agents who participated in stopping this [...]
“Lawmakers will be dealing with a feisty pregnant woman. We’re going to do everything we can to protect our child.”
– Coalition for Adoption Rights Equality’s newly pregnant President Bev Davidson on lobbying Michigan lawmakers for second-parent adoption as quoted by Deb Price in her Jan. 10 Detroit News column.
“Because of that inherent discrimination in Colorado law, gay couples are forced into a Solomonic choice – but in this case, you don’t split the baby, you have to split who gets to be the adoptive parent.”
– Michael Brewer, legal director for the Colorado Legal Initiatives Project as quoted by the Associated Press. Colorado’s adoption law, like Michigan’s, does not recognize co-parent adoptions by same-sex couples.
“If they went to that much trouble to make sure you don’t get married, how much trouble are they going to go to to get you out of schools? Where is this leading? What does the big picture hold for gay folks? I don’t think it’s a good picture. I think it’s reminiscent of things that we have seen in the past. And instead of it being Jews, it may become the gay folks. … Now that this ‘moral belief’ is out there that people can control your life, they’re going to make decisions about where you can teach, where you can live, how you can live. Does it open you up for folks coming up to your door and saying, ‘I know I’m not going to get in trouble for beating the f— out of you, so here I go’?”
– Whoopi Goldberg as quoted in the Jan. 18, 2005 issue of The Advocate.
“What’s most outrageous is the perception that Bush supporters are more ‘moral’ and have better ‘values.’ That’s because corrupt or stupid preachers have successfully convinced media bubbleheads that morality and values are defined by crooked politicians who cynically denounce abortion and gay marriage.”
– Columnist Jack Lessenberry in the Jan. 5, 2004 issue of Metro Times.
“It’s really important to live your truth. That I was gay came not only as a surprise to my husband but to me! We’re still close friends, and we coparent our daughter, Zoe, who is 15.”
– Queer Eye for the Straight Girl’s Honey Labrador on coming out after she was married, as quoted in the January 2005 issue of Out Magazine.