Gov. Gretchen Whitmer addressed the State of Michigan after a plan to kidnap her and other Michigan government officials was thwarted by state and federal law enforcement agencies. She started by saying thank you to law enforcement and FBI agents who participated in stopping this [...]
“We hear often that the UK government is committed to the promotion and protection of human rights around the world, and that it makes respect for human rights a condition of many of its foreign relations. I want our government, which has presided over many positive changes for gay people here in the UK to ensure that ending violations of gay people’s fundamental human rights around the world becomes an explicit issue in its diplomatic relations with other countries.”
– Elton John writing in The Observer July 3, 2005.
“The world would be a happier, healthier place if sex, love, and marriage were part of the same package for all people.”
– David Myers, author of “What God Has Joined Together? A Christian Case for Gay Marriage,” as quoted in the July 5, 2005 issue of The Advocate.
“Marriage has been in a constant state of evolution since the dawn of the Stone Age. In the process it has become more flexible, but also more optional. Many people may not like the direction these changes have taken in recent years. But it is simply magical thinking to believe that by banning gay and lesbian marriage, we will turn back the clock.
– Stephanie Coontz, author of “Marriage, a History: From Obedience to Intimacy, or How Love Conquered Marriage,” in a July 5, 2005 New York Times opinion piece.
“Me, I’ve always thought being a gay social conservative was not unlike being a black Klansman. Even if you could get away with it, why in the world would you want to? I’m sure Mary Cheney is holding on Line 2, but the point stands. It eludes me how anyone can support a political philosophy that is defined in large part by its open hostility toward people like oneself.”
– Leonard Pitts Jr. in the June 6, 2005 Miami Herald.
“I accept the possibility that my creator might reject my same-sex relationship. But only God knows fully the truth of anything, and so I have to wait until I meet my maker in order to know what that judgment will be.”
– Irshad Manji, author of “The Trouble With Islam,” as quoted in the August 2005 issue of Curve magazine.
“For years, we’ve been hearing the name of Christianity be used to speak about hatred, division, war and greed. We believe we can no longer stand by and watch the language of our faith used in that manner, and we think it is time to reclaim our faith.”
– Patrick Mrotek, founder of the new Christian Alliance for Progress, a grass-roots progressive Christian organization based in Jacksonville, Fla., as quoted in the Kansas City Star, June 22, 2005.