“The word conservative means discriminatory practically. It’s a form of political discrimination. What do the Republicans run on? Against gay marriage and for a war that makes no sense. A war that was based on faulty intelligence. That’s all they ever talk about. That and immigration. Another
discriminatory argument for political gain.”
– Charles Barkley as quoted on TravelGolf.com, July 17.
“As long as we allow this to be dangled in front of us because of our unwillingness to say publicly what so many of us are saying privately, it will haunt the Democratic party. And it will be used as a wedge issue
just as it is being dangled in front of congressional candidates in the November election.”
– San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom speaking about gay marriage as quoted by
Rolling Stone’s National Affairs blog, July 13.
“I’m the only straight man to bring his mother two years in a row.”
– “Entourage” actor and Emmy winner Jeremy Piven.
“This is not to say there aren’t any; I simply haven’t seen one in my lifetime. Maybe they are all in the closet. All the homosexuals I’ve seen are sickly and decrepit, their eyes devoid of life.”
– U.S. Senate candidate Stephen Laffey, R-Rhode Island, in an excerpt from a column he wrote when he was a college student.
“Do I regret some of these things? Sure. But at the time, we were just having fun. We thought it was funny.”
– U.S. Senate candidate Stephen Laffey defending his youthful anti-gay writings.