As the world continues to learn more about coronavirus and its spread, it's vital to stay up-to-date on the latest developments. However, it's also important to make sure that the information being distributed is from credible sources. To that end, Between The Lines has compiled, [...]
“I can’t wait for the day when a person asks me if a gay person should be a Republican or a Democrat and I can say it depends on your economic view.”
– U.S. Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) as quoted by The Salt Lake Tribune, April 22, 2006.
“We go from a backwater state trying to attract business to a backwater, bigoted state trying to attract business.”
– Alan Hawse, vice president of information technology for the California-based company Cypress Semiconductor, which has offices in Lexington, on Kentucky Gov. Ernie Fletcher’s decision to remove discrimination protection for gay workers, as quoted by The Associated Press, April 23, 2006.
“Gay marriage is not the magic bullet to get us out of our situation.”
– Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina) on the Republican’s election strategy, as quoted by The New York Times, April 16, 2006.
“Saddam was a tyrant, but at least we had more freedom then. Nowadays, gay men are just killed for no reason.”
– Hussein, a gay man in Iraq, as quoted by the BBC News online, April 17, 2006.
“It would be tragic for the state of Minnesota to send a signal to the rest of the country and the world that said we’re not as tolerant as we always were. We’re not the kind of place that is going to uphold our own standards and principals to make sure people are included. We’re going to try to turn back the clock and become a less tolerant and less diverse, a less interesting and a less creative place.”
– Richard Florida, as quoted by The Associated Press, April 23, 2006. Minnesota legislators are considering an anti-gay marriage amendment.
“There are many websites that’ll go, ‘Oh, he’s gay – I know he’s gay.’ Even our chef, who’s gay, was at a gay ski lodge, and some guy came up to him and said, ‘Robin Williams is gay.’ He goes, ‘No, he isn’t.’ ‘Oh, I know he is… I know people who’ve been with him.’ They should tell me, because I don’t remember.”
– Robin Williams, as quoted by Ireland On-Line, April 24, 2006.
“Youth have been the missing piece of the gay rights movement. We envision a better tomorrow. We demand it today. We don’t have the patience of older gays and are willing to take greater risks.”
– Jake Reitan, the 24-year-old Equality Ride leader, as quoted by Deb Price in The Detroit News, April 24, 2006.