“In the years since the story was published in 1997 I have received many letters from gay and straight men, not a few Wyoming-born. Some said, ‘You told my story,’ some said ‘That is why I left Wyoming,’ and a number, from fathers, said ‘Now I understand the hell my son went through.’ I still get these heart breaking letters.”
– Annie Proulx on her short story “Brokeback Mountain,” as quoted by Planet Jackson Hole, Dec. 7, 2005.
“Under the ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy, gays and lesbians can serve, but those who make their orientation known face discharge. Especially at a time when the Army needs all the volunteers it can get, the military should do what so many families, workplaces, and schools have done – as well as the militaries of many of our allies – accept homosexuals and get on with it.”
– From a Boston Globe editorial, Dec. 10, 2005.
“What the new pope has done is conflate a sin with an identity. He has created a class of human beings who, regardless of what they do, are too psychologically and thereby morally ‘disordered’ to become priests.”
– Andrew Sullivan on the Catholic Church’s new guidelines on gay priests, Time magazine Dec. 4, 2005.
“As we say in my business, ‘More will be revealed.’ But Ford’s stumbling p.r. efforts have left Motor City gay folks feeling hurt or confused, yet eager to give an old friend the benefit of the doubt.”
– Deb Price, The Detroit News, Dec. 12, 2005.
“If you call Volvo reaching a secret deal with a gay-hating extremist group to ban the image of gay couples from their ads ’embracing diversity,’ then I have a few volumes of ‘The International Jew: The World’s Foremost Threat’ by Henry Ford I’d like to sell you.”
– Americablog’s John Aravosis in a Dec. 8, 2005 post on http://americablog.blogspot.com.
“Want to reward retailers who advertise in gay media? The Human Rights Campaign provides a list. Convinced that gay media are responsible for everything that’s wrong with America? Draw a big ‘X’ through the same list and you’re good to go.”
– From a Dec. 12, 2005 Detroit Free Press column titled “What would Jesus boycott?” by Brian Dickerson.
“Bill, there will always be lesbians on this show. I make this vow to you. As long as I’m breathing, there will be lesbians. I will give the people lesbians, because there is nothing sexier in this world – besides you – there is nothing sexier than two women getting it on.”
– Howard Stern to Bill O’Reilly on The O’Reilly Factor, Dec. 8, 2005.