“Some people come into this world with affections ordered toward other people of the same gender and some people come into this world with affections directed at people of the other gender.”
– Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori, newly elected leader of the U.S. Episcopal Church, as quoted by Reuters, June 19, 2006.
“You would like to think I’d be exemplary; I’d say, ‘Let us go to therapy together, let us work this through, find out what you really are and what you really want and not be timid or frightened.’ But you know what? There is enough of a conventional bourgeois many generations back in me that I would have to grow in courage.”
– Mercedes Ruehl who plays Gwen Araujo’s mother in the Lifetime movie “A Girl Like Me,” on how she’d react if one of her children were transsexual, as quoted in the June 20, 2006 issue of The Advocate.
“I think the important thing to remember is that you have to do what’s right. For me, being in the closet was not an option. You can’t be in two places at once, and I think trying to do so makes you crazy, splits your soul.”
– Janis Ian, as quoted in the July-August, 2006 issue of The Gay & Lesbian Review.
“One of their most important functions is persuading people not to file lawsuits. This kind of coordinating function is crucial, because every time you lose one it’s another decision on the books that says same-sex marriage doesn’t have to be recognized.”
– Andrew Koppelman, law professor at Northwestern University, on Lambda Legal, as quoted in the July 4, 2006 issue of The Advocate.
“[The Catholic Church] told people often and with great energy that they couldn’t have sex outside of marriage, or use birth control, or masturbate, or have same-sex relations. Don’t, don’t, don’t, they said continually and with long, complicated reasonings. But killing people, the church has been very understanding about, as long as it’s done in an organized way like in a war.”
– Christopher Durang writing in the Spring 2006 issue of Conscience.
“Let’s get everybody involved and do it right so that it is not overturned. It is not that I am afraid of being ahead of the public. Leadership requires sometimes that you get ahead of the public. If we are going to do it, let’s do it right, because sometimes if you get too far ahead of the public there is a backlash.”
– Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero on plans to renew the push for a civil rights ordinance, as quoted by City Pulse, June 20, 2006.
“[Meryl Streep] was pretty maternal with Lindsay. I personally wanted to go out to the clubs with her.”
– Lily Tomlin on working with Lindsay Lohan in Robert Altman’s new film “A Prairie Home Companion,” “The Daily Show With Jon Stewart,” June 9, 2006.