Same-sex partner immigration legislation pending

BTL Staff
By | 2005-12-22T09:00:00-04:00 December 22nd, 2005|News|

The Uniting American Families Act (formerly the Permanent Partners Immigration Act) would amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to allow Americans to sponsor their same-sex foreign partners for immigration benefits. The UAFA was introduced in June, and so far, only one Michigan Congressman – Representative Sander Levin – has co-sponsored the bill in either house of Congress.
Contact your U.S. Senators and your U.S. Representative and urge them to sign on as co-sponsors of the Uniting American Families Act. Let them know that bi-national same-sex life partners deserve the same legal rights as opposite sex couples.
Senator Carl Levin: 269 Russell Office Building, U.S. Senate, Washington, DC 20510-2202. Call 202-224-6221. Email Senator Levin by visiting the Contact Center on his website at
Senator Debbie Stabenow: 133 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, DC 20510. Call 202-224-4822 or TTY: 202-224-2066 or e-mail
To find your U.S. Representative, visit Project Vote Smart at or call the U.S. Congressional Switchboard at 202-224-3121.

Related story: Torn between two countries
Related story: Same-sex partner immigration legislation pending
Related story: Theres no place like home – countries with welcoming immigration laws

About the Author:

BTL Staff
Between The Lines has been publishing LGBTQ-related content in Southeast Michigan since the early '90s. This year marks the publication's 25th anniversary.