Did you know that according to the American Animal Hospital Association 1 out of 4 pets could be saved if just one pet first aid technique was applied prior to getting Veterinary treatment? Did you know that preventable accidents are the leading cause of death and disability for non-senior dogs and cats? Do you know what to do if your pets have a medical emergency?
Check out Michigan based http://www.firstaid4paws.com. Classes are available for pet professionals and pet owners to learn what to do in an emergency!
Telephone: 248-615-4590 (If no answer press 2 and leave a message)
Make sure you understand the costs of pet ownership
1. Premium pet food for one year: Average cat: $102 to $203; Small dog: $96 to $192; Medium dog: $188 to $225; Large dog: $260 to $276.
Food treats: Dogs: $64; Cats: $37.
Sources: Iams pet food and a 2008 consumer survey by the American Pet Products Association.
2. Veterinary care for one year: Per dog: average $200 , Routine care (vaccines and well visits): $225 , Average annual cost of surgical visits when needed: $532 . Per cat: average $81, Routine care: $203, Surgical visits when needed: $278.
Sources: American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) and American Pet Products Association (APPA).
3. Taking care of Fido and Fluffy when you can’t: Overnight boarding dogs: $14 to $39 (and more) per night, Overnight boarding cats: $9 to $15 (and more) per night, Doggie daycare: $12 per day. Add more for play sessions, Pet sitting: $16 for a half-hour visit to include feeding, potty breaks, medicine if needed, love and attention. Additional walks $5 per 15 minutes.
Sources: Stone Henge Kennels and Williamsburg Pet Resort, Williamsburg, Va.; Lucky Dog Enterprises, Colorado Springs, Colo.; American Pet Products Association.
4. Grooming: Bath for small dogs: $20 to $30 to include nails, ears, brushing, bathing and drying, With haircut: $30 to $50, Bath for large dog: $25 to $50, With haircut: $25 to $50, Up to $80 for longhaired dog with matted hair. Annual spending, professional dog grooming: $165 to $220. DIY grooming aids cats: $22. DIY grooming aids dogs: $65.
Source: Petco, Lucky Dog Enterprises and APPA.
5. Pet extras per year: Dog toys: $40. Cat toys: $19. Dog beds: $39. Cat beds: $30. Dog crates: $80. Cat cages/crates: $30. Dog carrier: $35. Cat carrier: $40. Dog harness/halter: $25.
Flea/tick control products: Cats: $57. Dogs: $76.
6. DIY training: Books, pamphlets, videos on cat care and training: $35. Books, pamphlets, videos on dog care and training: $18.
7. Fences: Invisible Fence Brand: $1,200 to $1,800 for one pet for one-fourth to one-half acre with lifetime warranty, on-site training and continuing support, and one-year pet containment Chain link fence: $1,935 to $2,881 for 215 linear feet of four- to six-foot chain link fence, installed, for a backyard of about one-eighth-acre.
Sources: Clark Distributors, Atlantic regional distributor for Invisible Fence Brand; Fence Center, Lanham, Md.