Arts & Entertainment
2011 Motor City Pride gets bigger, louder than ever before
By Tara Cavanaugh
Originally printed 2/17/2011 (Issue 1907 - Between The Lines News)
Motor City Pride 2011 marks its biggest and proudest ever celebration this year by going back to its roots. The June 4-5 festival, taking place in downtown Detroit's Hart Plaza, will run two days, not just one, and it promises a host of expanded activities, more performances and more attendees. This year's celebration also marks the anniversary of Michigan's first pride march, which happened in Detroit 25 years ago.
"We've been dreaming about this for a couple of years," said Dave Wait, the festival chair. Equality Michigan, which oversees the finances of the festival, said in a press release that the move to Detroit "demonstrates the strength, vitality and unity of our community within the collective fabric of Southeastern Michigan."
In addition to more vendors, performances and attendees, the festival will also offer more college-age and family-oriented activities.
Making nearly every aspect of the festival larger than before also demands more volunteers. Wait says past festivals have used roughly 300 volunteers, so he's hoping for at least that many for this year's celebration.
Contact Wait at email@example.com if you're interested in volunteering, performing or being a vendor. Keep up with the developing festival on the Motor City Pride website http://motorcitypride.org/.
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality