Arts & Entertainment
Democratic Convention - Source: Dems move to formally back gay marriage
By Julie Pace
Originally printed 8/2/2012 (Issue 2031 - Between The Lines News)
WASHINGTON (AP) -
A Democratic official says support for gay marriage is set to be included in the official party platform adopted at this summer's convention.
The Democrats' platform drafting committee voted to include language backing same-sex unions at a meeting in Minneapolis over the weekend. Democratic delegates will formally approve the platform during the convention, which will be held in early September in Charlotte, N.C.
The push by several high-profile Democrats to include support for gay marriage in the party platform gained momentum after President Barack Obama voiced his personal support for same-sex unions earlier this year.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publically about the platform committee's decision.
The move was first reported by The Washington Blade.
- Hennepin: The Quiet Revolution For LGBT Equality
- Department of Education Announces Changes to FAFSA Form
- Court Considers Constitutionality of Defense of Marriage Act That Denies Benefits To Married Same-Sex Veterans And Their Spouses
- Immigration reform clears key Senate hurdle
- Calif. Moves To Comply With 2011 Gay History Law
- Another HIV Vaccine Setback as Trial is Stopped
- 'Psychiatric bible' tackles grief, binge eating, drinking